Sunday, May 23, 2010

"El Dorado (Goodbye, Utah)" by Rane Arroyo

Yesterday Rane Arroyo's poem "El Dorado (Goodbye, Utah)" appeared on Verse Daily. Here's the poem in its entirety:


El Dorado (Goodbye, Utah)


Mi amor, I'm surrounded by mountains.
I'm inside their ring, one never to know

a ring finger. I miss the pueblo of our
nakedness. A magnet pulls at me tonight,

the opposite of the Pacific Sea's name.
I tire of burying sunsets in this nuevo west,

of turquoise shops selling the wrong sky,
and of the search for El Dorado dwindling

into a hunt for a high; it's all a bare-bones
version of salvation. This isn't a tequila

letter or an abstract tourniquet. You may
only hear this as an echo, a cartographer's

mumble. Sometimes, I travel too far from
myself and need proof that I've not died.

How I miss your bed's golden myopia.
I'm even without moonlight's silver tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I lived in Utah once. These are my favorite lines:
    I tire of burying sunsets in this nuevo west,

    of turquoise shops selling the wrong sky,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rane, this time you have traveled too far from yourself....

    ReplyDelete